Sunday, November 06, 2005

Hip To Be Brainwashed

So, the other day I was walking my dog Hoover and the song “Hip To Be Square” popped in my head randomly. I started softly singing it, rewriting it, as I do with songs, to include my dog’s name. “It’s hip to be Hoover…”

(I think the reason people never tire of doing this, or of talking in semi-nonsense to their dogs, or of stacking objects on top of their cats, is because animals are incapable of reacting appropriately. Their expressions generally don't even change. It's their inability to comprehend absurdity that is, for some reason, hilarious.)

Then, this morning, driving to work, I suddenly realized that the song “I Want A New Drug” was in my head. Another Huey Lewis song? In two days?

I haven’t listened to Huey Lewis since I was in ninth grade. Which goes without saying, really. Nobody has listened to Huey Lewis since they were in ninth grade. I don’t care if you’re 80 years old, the last time you listened to Huey Lewis was when you’re in the ninth grade.

I didn't catch a snippet of them on the radio while shopping at Bed, Bath and Beyond or something. I don't listen to KOST 103 or whatever station would play Huey Lewis, I don't even know. I haven't heard them.

I want a new drug… One that won’t make me sick…

What the hell is going on? It can’t just be me. My brain just doing that. Not possible.

Is it aliens? The CIA? VH-1? What do these messages mean?

6 Knee-jerk Reactions:

Blogger Urban Bella said...

"...rewriting it, as I do with songs, to include my dog’s name. 'It’s hip to be Hoover…'"

I would really like to hear you do it with some other songs - maybe Toto's "Rosanna"? Or Jefferson Starship's "Sara"?

"Hoover. Hoover. Storms operate in your eyes. Oh-oh-oh-oh... Hoover. Hoover. No time is a good time for goodbye. Oh Hoover. Love me like no one has ever loved me before (Oh Hoover). Hut me like no one has ever hurt me before. Hoo-oo-oo-verrrr!"

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually caught him and The News in concert a few years ago.

I haven't played "Sport" in a while but I do need to listen the the "Back To The Future" at least once a year. And why you ask, because it's hip to be...

1:40 PM  
Blogger me said...

My favorite Hoover song is, of course, the vacuum theme... Hoover, nobohhhooodddy does it like HOOOOOOVVV!

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The video for "I Want A New Drug" is one of the classic crap vids from the 80s -- Huey getting up, putting on his splashy, red, Miami Vice suit and getting to the concert just in time to sing his signature song. As I recall, there's a girl with a flower in her hair at some point...

I'm positive that you heard the song somewhere, without even knowing it. Stuff like that doesn't just appear in your subconscious.

6:40 AM  
Blogger pamie said...

How weird is it that I'm listening to Toto's "Pamela" as I read Toto's "Rosanna"? That's pretty random too, right?

But Frank's theory on why it's hilarious to stack things on a cat is dead-on. They have senses of humor, but they cannot appreciate the absurd.

(yes, they have senses of humor. shut up.)

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, you caught me. It was me sending that song into your brain telepathically. You see, Sports is on my iPod, and my iPod will occasionally random to it.

Sadly, I must blow a hole in your "nobody has listened to Huey Lewis since the 9th grade" theory. With my own free will, I chose to listen to the entire album about six months ago. I just had to see, you know?

And I too am guilty of incorporating my cat's name into songs. Constantly. All cats have nicknames, usually more than one. One of my cats' nicknames is Dr. Seuss Cat, so whenever I hear anything that has three syllables, I substitute the words "Dr. Seuss." The most ridiculous example is the MS Messenger new message sound. It's three notes - ta, ta, ta. That gets substituted with "Dr. Seuss."

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home